Statistics On Fatherlessness In America And The Profound Impact Of Mentoring
Children growing up without a father in the United States has become an epidemic. Here are some troubling statistics about fatherless children in the U.S. from the National Center For Fathering and The Fatherless Generation:
- 85% of youths in prison come from fatherless homes
- 71% of high school dropouts come from fatherless homes
- 90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes
- Nearly 25 million children live without their biological father
- 60% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes
A recent study shows that 100% of school shooters had minimal contact with their father.
Now let's look at how we can combat these statistics thru MENTORING!
Here is some information from Mentor.org; these are statistics of at-risk youth who have had a mentor:
- 55% more likely to enroll in college
- 78% more likely to volunteer regularly
- 90% of them are interested in becoming a mentor themselves
- 130% more likely to hold leadership positions
- 46% less likely to use drugs
- 81% more likely to participate in sports or extracurricular activities
Isn't the impact of mentoring amazing?! If mentors show up, are consistent, reliable, loving, encouraging, positive, and trustworthy, they WILL change lives.